Friday 3 February 2012

International Q Code

International Q Code is an abbreviated way to exchange a great deal of information with a simple code. The Q Code consists of three-letter groups with each group having a specific meaning. Each group begins with the letter Q. Auxiliary letter groups or numbers are also used to help define the information that is need or passed with certain Q Code three-letter groups.

The International Q Code can be arranged in three types of code groups according to the second letter in the three-letter Q Code.

The Q Code comprises :
A. General Codes, second letter of which is R, S, T or U. (Some used by Hams).
B. Maritime Service Codes, second letter of which is O, P or Q.
C. Aeronautical Codes, second letter of which is A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M or N.

Some common Q-Codes used by Amateur Radio Operators are:

Signal --- Question

QRG : Will you indicate my exact frequency in kilocycles?

QRH : Does my frequency vary?

QRI : How is the tone of my transmission?

QRJ : Are you receiving me badly? Are my signals weak?

QRK : What is the legibility of my signals (1 to 5)?

QRL : Are you busy?

QRM : Are you being interfered with?

QRN : Are you troubled by static?

QRO : Must I increase power?

QRP : Must I decrease power?

QRQ : Must I send faster?

QRS : Must I send more slowly?

QRT : Must I stop transmission?

QRU : Have you anything for me?

QRV : Are you ready?

QRW : Must I advise ... that you are calling him on ... kc?

QRX : When will you call again?

QRZ : By whom am I being called?

QSA : What is the strength of my signals (1 to 5)?

QSB : Does the strength of my signals vary?

QSD : Is my keying correct? Are my signals distinct?

QSG : Must I transmit ... telegrams (or one telegram) at a time?

QSK : Shall I continue the transmission of all my traffic?

QSL : Can you acknowledge receipt?

QSM : Shall I repeat the last telegram I sent you?

QSO : Can you communicate with ... directly (or through...)?

QSP : Will you relay to ...?

QSV : Shall I send a series of VVV....?

QSX : Will you listen for ... (call sign) on ... kcs?

QSY : Shall I change to ... kilocycles without changing the type of wave?

QSZ : Shall I send each word or group twice?

QTA : Shall I cancel nr ... as if it had not been sent?

QTB : Do you agree with my word count?

QTC : How many telegrams have you to send?

QTH : What is your position (location)?

QTR : What is the exact time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...